Jo's creative approach adapts to each practitioners individual needs, with a focus on body positivity, self compassion and inclusivity. She is excited to share the whole spectrum of yogic experience - from supportive and playful movement in the aerial hammock, to calm meditation in the quiet of a yin style practice.
She discovered yoga while studying Visual Art at RMIT in 1998, and since then she has found that practicing meditation and yoga helps her enjoy living and creating to her full potential.
Jo has been teaching since 2005 and is the founder of Garden of Yoga, where she teaches Aerial Yoga, Pilates and Yin Yoga classes. She also co-hosts The Flow Artists Podcast with Rane - speaking to inspiring movers, thinkers and teachers about how they find their flow and share it with the world!
She is also one of Australia's most experienced Aerial Yoga teachers in Australia, completing the first teacher training here with Antigravity creator Christopher Harrison in 2011 as well as advanced aerial yoga and Aerial Yoga Therapeutics certification with Renae Stevens in 2022. She is currently writing a book 'Eight Limbs of Aerial Yoga: Adapting Practice for Accessibility, Neurodiversity and Physical Support to be published by Singing Dragon in 2026.
Jo is dedicated to making yoga and meditation accessible to everybody and loves teaching through Get Active in Darebin community programs. She shares her meditations online via Insight Timer and teaches body positive and trauma informed Yoga and Pilates online live stream and zoom classes. Jo also loves mentoring other teachers and has a unique ability to see their strengths and help them expand their range of possibilities.
- Level 3 Senior teacher with Yoga Australia.
- Advanced Aerial Yoga and Aerial Yoga Therapeutics with Creative Body Flow
- Advanced Diploma of Yoga Teaching (CAE/Australian Institute of Yoga Therapy)
- Trauma Informed and Community Yoga certification with Yoga for Humankind
- Accessible Yoga Training with Jivana Heyman
- Asana for Autism and Special Needs with Shawnee Thornton Hardy
- Rolling Along the Anatomy Trains with Jill Miller and Tom Myers
- Accessible Yoga Training with Sarah Harry (Fat Yoga)
- Studio Pilates certification with Taube Pilates (with specialised training in pre and postnatal Pilates and Pilates for Active Ageing)
- Yin Yoga and Myofascial Release teacher training with Jo Phee
- Level 5 Antigravity Aerial Yoga Instructor, with Aerial Yoga 1&2, Flying Fitness, Pilates and Restorative certification
- Body Organics - Makarlu and Psoas and Sacrum anatomy training
- SomaChi yoga certification with Lianne Metcalfe
'Jo has without doubt been the most inspirational teacher of yoga that I have ever come across. She has a unique ability to really disentangle attachment to perfection and, bring focus to fully experiencing yoga wherever you are on your journey. This, coupled with a real sense of non judgement and complete support is what makes her a stand out teacher
I've never felt so positive and comfortable about achieving my yogic goals as I have with Jo in the room and in my corner. As I've looked across her classes I can tell that I'm not alone. From people with many years experience to those with none, Jo is somehow able to cater to everyone's needs equally without a sense of anyone being left out or outdone. ~ Katie
Jo was selected by Yoga Lunchbox as one of Australia and New Zealand's Best Up and Coming Yoga Teachers in 2016! Read more here